History Podcasts

Doris Day wins lawsuit

Doris Day wins lawsuit

On September 18, 1974, actress Doris Day wins a $22.8 million malpractice suit against her former lawyer.

Day, one of the biggest box office draws of the 1950s and ’60s, had allowed her third husband, Martin Melcher, to handle her finances. After his death in 1968, she discovered that her $20 million in life savings had disappeared, and sued her lawyer for mismanagement. She was not able to recover the full value of the award, however, and settling for $6 million.

Day was born in Cincinnati in 1922. Though she was a promising dancer as a teenager, a car accident ended her dancing days and turned her toward music instead. She sang and recorded with several bands. In 1948, she was pulled in at the last minute to replace singer/actress Betty Hutton in Romance on the High Seas (1948), Day’s first film. Audiences adored her, and she went on to star in dozens of other films, including April in Paris (1952), Calamity Jane (1953), The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956) and The Pajama Game (1957). She made her last film in 1968, With Six, You Get Eggroll. After her husband’s death, she began work on a television series, The Doris Day Show (1968-1973) and also appeared in television specials.

Day was awarded the Cecil B. DeMille Award for her outstanding contribution to entertainment by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association at the Golden Globe Awards in 1989. She died on May 13, 2019.

Doris Day’s Former Lawyer Disbarred

The California Supreme Court on Monday ordered the disbarment of the former lawyer and financial adviser to actress Doris Day, ending an arduous, 19-year legal-ethics dispute between the entertainer and the attorney.

The court unanimously upheld a recommendation by the State Bar urging the action against Jerome B. Rosenthal of Los Angeles for a wide range of ethical violations in his dealings with Day and her late husband, Martin Melcher.

Disbarment, the court said, was “amply warranted by the egregious nature of (Rosenthal’s) conduct and the need to protect the public from further injury.”

The disciplinary proceeding against Rosenthal apparently was one of the longest in State Bar history. It originated in 1968 with a complaint filed by Day over Rosenthal’s handling of the couple’s legal and business affairs over a 12-year period.

In a separate case, Day sued Rosenthal for fraud and malpractice, winning a $22.8-million judgment in 1974 against the attorney for his handling of the Melchers’ funds in ill-fated gas, oil and hotel investments. Day later settled with Rosenthal’s insurers for $6 million.

An attorney for Day, Peter J. Gregora, said Monday’s action came as no surprise.

“Mr. Rosenthal’s disbarment was almost a foregone conclusion,” he said. “I’ve never heard of any other case taking so long.”

The 76-year old Rosenthal called the justices’ order “an outrage,” and maintained that his constitutional rights had been violated in the Bar proceeding.

“I am innocent,” he declared.

But he added that he bears Day no ill will.

“I do not consider her an enemy,” he said.

A hearing panel of the State Bar Court, after 80 days of testimony and consideration of documentary evidence, accused Rosenthal of 13 separate acts of misconduct and urged his disbarment.

The panel said that the attorney, during his representation of Day, Martin Melcher and their son Terrence Melcher, had been guilty of conflict of interest, overstated his expenses, failed to provide adequate legal advice, filed fraudulent claims and had given false testimony.

After the Melchers dismissed him as their attorney, Rosenthal refused to return all of their records and continued to refuse to cooperate with a court-appointed receiver, forcing sheriff’s deputies to go to his office to take possession of files and records, the panel said.

The panel’s findings were upheld by the State Bar Court’s review department, which subsequently asked the justices to order Rosenthal’s disbarment.

In proceedings before the justices, the attorney raised numerous claims contending that his rights had been violated in the Bar’s disciplinary process and that the hearing panel had been biased against him.

In a 44-page unsigned opinion, the court called Rosenthal’s contentions “completely meritless,” and ordered his disbarment.

The 20 Most Decorated Golden Globe Winners of All Time

Doris Day is one of the most beloved actresses of all time. She’s won the Henrietta Award (World Film Favorites) five times, starting in 1955. Day made her mark in light comedies, some of which co-starred Rock Hudson, and was nominated for Golden Globe awards for her eponymously named television show in 1969 and for films such as “Move Over, Darling” in 1964.

Dustin Hoffman, who rocketed to stardom in 1968 in “The Graduate,” has been honored with a Golden Globe for his work in drama (“Kramer vs. Kramer” in 1980), comedy (“Tootsie” in 1983), and a made-for-television movie (“Death of a Salesman” in 1986).

Whether it is on television or on film, Jessica Lange has demonstrated her varied talents in comedies, dramas and mini series. Lange scored Golden Globe glory in the comedy “Tootsie” in 1983, the drama “Blue Sky” in 1995, and the made-for-television film “A Streetcar Named Desire” in 1996.

Next to Lucille Ball, no woman has had a more profound impact on television comedy than Carol Burnett. “The Carol Burnett Show” set the standard for sketch comedy in the 1960s and 1970s, and the program was honored with five Golden Globe wins. Burnett received the first-ever television special achievement award from the Golden Globes that is named in her honor.

Shirley MacLaine won the Golden Globe for New Star of the Year – Actress in 1955 for her performance in “The Trouble with Harry” and has only added to her acclaim. MacLaine’s wins include Actress in a Motion Picture Drama for “Madame Sousatzka” in 1989 and “Terms of Endearment” in 1984 and for Actress in Musical or Comedy Motion Picture for “Irma la Douce” in 1964 and “The Apartment” in 1961.

High Court Rejects Judgment Appeal : Doris Day Wins 17-Year Battle With Ex-Attorney

Entertainer Doris Day’s 17-year battle with her one-time attorney ended Wednesday when the state Supreme Court rejected the lawyer’s appeal of a multimillion-dollar judgment against him for legal malpractice.

The high court upheld conclusions of a trial court and a Court of Appeal that lawyer Jerome B. Rosenthal acted improperly by investing several million dollars earned by Day in ill-fated gas and oil ventures and hotels--often in companies which, unknown to the actress, were owned by Rosenthal.

In 1975, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Lester E. Olson awarded Day a $26-million judgment against Rosenthal, though Day later settled with Rosenthal’s insurance companies for $6 million.

Both the trial judge and the appellate justices repeatedly used such words as greed and sham to describe the Hollywood lawyer and his dealings with Day and her late husband, Martin Melcher.

Rosenthal, now in his mid-70s, appealed the case largely in an effort to clear his name, lawyers involved say.

The lawyers also agreed that the case--which “may very well be the oldest active case in the (state) court system,” according to Day’s lawyer, Peter J. Gregora--is now over.

Rosenthal dealt most closely with Melcher, who started out as Day’s agent in the 1940s when she was a cabaret singer and married her in 1951. As she became a success in a series of movies in the 1950s and ‘60s, she gave her husband almost complete control of her business affairs, the courts noted.

Melcher in turn gave control of the money to Rosenthal, who became business and tax adviser to Day and Melcher. And under a 1956 arrangement, Rosenthal was to receive 10% of virtually everything owned or earned by Day and Melcher, the appeal court noted.

When Melcher died in 1968, Day and her son, Terrence, fired Rosenthal, prompting him to sue. Day filed a suit of her own, accusing the lawyer of double dealing.

The high court without a dissenting vote declined to review the lower court rulings.

Gerald Goldfarb, Rosenthal’s lawyer, had urged the high court to at least invoke a procedure called depublication to erase the Court of Appeal opinion that criticized his client from official volumes of appellate court cases. The court did not act on that request.

Goldfarb said the lower courts’ characterization of Rosenthal was a “real injustice.”

“The truth of the matter was that Rosenthal and Melcher worked to create a business empire,” Goldfarb said. “Rosenthal was trying to make everyone rich, including himself. But as things work out, the investments didn’t work. There wasn’t anything dishonest about him at all.”

The State Bar had delayed disciplinary proceedings against Rosenthal pending the outcome of the case.

History of The Fund for Animals

The Fund for Animals works for passage of federal Airborne Hunting Act, prohibiting the aerial slaughter of wolves in Alaska.

The Fund for Animals works for passage of the Marine Mammal Protection Act, which protects polar bears, seals, whales, dolphins and other marine mammals.

Harper & Row publishes Cleveland Amory's Man Kind? Our Incredible War on Wildlife, a stinging and satirical attack on sport hunting and commercial trapping in America. It serves as the primer for the CBS documentary, The Guns of Autumn. The Fund for Animals unleashes the "Real People Wear Fake Fur" advertising campaign featuring Doris Day, Angie Dickinson, Mary Tyler Moore, and Amanda Blake.

The Fund for Animals successfully petitions U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to place 175 species on the endangered list, including the grizzly bear, argali sheep, and African elephant.

The Fund for Animals Dexter Cate rescues dolphins from Japanese spearing on Iki Island. Japanese officials imprison him in solitary confinement for three months. The Fund for Animals buys a British trawler, converts it to icebreaker, and renames it the Sea Shepherd. It sails to Magdalen Islands to stop the clubbing of baby seals.

The Fund for Animals ice crew, led by captain Paul Watson, paints more than 1,000 baby seals with harmless red organic dye, rendering the pelts useless to furriers. The Fund for Animals starts a massive four-year airlift of burros scheduled to be shot by the National Park Service in the Grand Canyon. The Fund for Animals purchases its own piece of land in Texas and starts the Black Beauty Ranch sanctuary for animals.

The Fund for Animals Lewis Regenstein works with other leading conservation groups for the passage of the Alaska National Interest Lands Conservation Act, the largest lands protection bill ever passed by Congress.

The Fund for Animals begins a two-year rescue of burros &mdash slated to be shot by the Navy &mdash from China Lake Naval Weapons Center in the California desert.

The Fund for Animals begins a three-year rescue of burros in Death Valley National Monument. Secretary of Defense Caspar Weinberger, responding to pleas from The Fund for Animals president Cleveland Amory, overrules Navy brass to allow The Fund for Animals to rescue 3,000 goats from San Clemente Naval Weapons Facility, pioneering the use of helicopter-launched net guns.

The Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Ramona, California, is donated to The Fund for Animals.

A The Fund for Animals lawsuit blocks the federal government and state of Minnesota from instituting a sport hunting and commercial trapping season on wolves.

The Fund for Animals wins a massive federal lawsuit forcing the Bureau of Land Management to abide by the terms of the Wild Horse and Free-Roaming Burro Act.

A The Fund for Animals lawsuit halts black bear hunting for one season in California, sparing about 1,400 bears. The Fund for Animals activists throughout the country conduct field protests of hunting in forests and wetlands.

After casting a national spotlight on the hunting of bison who wander from Yellowstone National Park, The Fund for Animals pressures the state of Montana into banning hunt.

The Fund for Animals lawsuits halt grizzly bear hunting in Montana and a massive elk hunt in Arizona's Coconino National Forest.

The Fund for Animals drafts, leads, and carries to victory a ballot initiative in Colorado to ban spring, bait, and hound hunting of black bears. It's a severe defeat for the National Rifle Association. The Fund for Animals wins a massive lawsuit compelling the federal government to speed the pace of listing more than 400 rare species on the federal endangered species list.

The Fund for Animals halts the "research" kill of Yellowstone's bison. The Fund for Animals lawsuit stops the baiting of black bears on all national forests in Wyoming for one hunting season. The Fund for Animals and other conservation groups pressure the Florida Game and Fresh Water Fish Commission into stopping the hunting of the rare Florida black bear.

The Fund for Animals helps stop bear wrestling, cockfighting, and raccoon and opossum "shake-out" seasons in Kentucky. Voters approved The Fund for Animals-backed ballot initiatives in two states, stopping the use of bait to hunt bears and the use of hounds to hunt bears and cougars in Oregon and ending all commercial trapping on public lands in Arizona.

The Fund for Animals stops canned hunts of exotic species on Texas game ranches. The Fund for Animals pressures the Australian government to halt construction of a massive Eastern Tollway that would have decimated one of the last remaining pieces of koala habitat and one of the last remaining koala colonies in the country.

A The Fund for Animals lawsuit stops a proposed bison sport hunt on a U.S. Army base in New Mexico. The Fund for Animals rallies Maryland residents to halt a proposed sport hunting season on the state's black bear population and works with the Maryland Department of Natural Resources to start a "Black Bear Conservation Fund." The Fund for Animals opens the nation's largest high-volume, low-cost, spay and neuter clinic in New York City. The Fund for Animals releases "What's Wrong With Hunting," a celebrity-filled video for young people.

The Fund for Animals sets up an Urban Wildlife Hotline to provide information on humane ways to solve nuisance wildlife problems. The Fund for Animals settles a lawsuit with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to prevent the premature "delisting" &mdash and thus sport hunting &mdash of the threatened grizzly bear. The Fund for Animals reaches a legal settlement with the Bureau of Land Management to prevent the agency from adopting wild horses to people who plan to sell the horses to slaughter. In response to a private pigeon shooting contest in Sarasota, Florida, The Fund for Animals drafts an ordinance to ban pigeon shoots, which is passed unanimously by the Sarasota County Council.

The Connecticut Legislature overwhelmingly passes a The Fund for Animals bill to stop nuisance wildlife control trappers from drowning animals and using other cruel methods of killing. The Fund for Animals and other groups successfully block proposal to allow the sale of river otter pelts "incidentally" trapped in Idaho, which would have effectively overturned the state's 27-year prohibition on trapping otters. The Fund for Animals works for passage of a bill in Albany County, New York, banning the use of leg-hold and body-gripping traps on all county land. A The Fund for Animals lawsuit halts the sport hunting of bison on the National Elk Refuge in Wyoming. The Fund for Animals helps pass state legislation to ban live pigeon shoots in North Carolina.

In response to public pressure and a The Fund for Animals-sponsored lawsuit, organizers of the annual Labor Day pigeon shoot held in Hegins, Pennsylvania announce the event's cancellation.

President Bill Clinton signed the Great Ape Conservation Act, a bill backed by The Fund for Animals that creates a federal fund of up to $5 million from which grants will be made to conservation projects protecting great apes &mdash gorillas, chimpanzees, bonobos, orangutans, and gibbons &mdash in their natural habitat. New York Governor George Pataki signed bill A. 1157, which bans the use of Avitrol, a dangerous poison that kills birds slowly and cruelly and places human safety in jeopardy, in New York City. Washington state voters passed I-713, a ballot measure banning the use of certain cruel poisons and body-gripping traps to kill wildlife.

Iowa Governor Tom Vilsack vetoed H.F. 43, which passed the House and Senate by narrow margins and which would have opened the state's first sport hunting season on mourning doves since 1918. The Michigan legislature defeated a bill that would have opened that state's first mourning dove hunting season since 1905.

An amendment to the federal Farm Bill closed the legal loophole that cockfighters have been exploiting for years to ship their fighting roosters across state and national lines. The legislation bans any interstate shipment or exports of fighting birds. Voters side with The Fund for Animals in statewide animal protection ballot measures, banning cockfighting in Oklahoma, rejecting subsidies for the greyhound racing industry in Arizona, establishing a spay/neuter license plate in Georgia, and establishing the first statewide prohibition on a cruel factory farming practices in Florida. Voters in 41 of 41 counties in West Virginia also reject Sunday hunting.

Wyoming and Kentucky both pass bills championed by The Fund for Animals to create the states' first ever laws making certain types of animal cruelty a felony. The bills make it a felony to cruelly beat, torture, torment, injure or mutilate an animal with the intention of causing death, injury or undue suffering.

The Fund for Animals places more than 75 rescued tigers, lions, and leopards at animal sanctuaries around the country, after they were confiscated from a southern California cruelty case. The Fund for Animals efforts bring worldwide attention to the problem of wild animals in captivity.

The Fund for Animals joins forces with The Humane Society of the United States, creating a new Campaigns team focusing on the issues of factory farming, animal cruelty and fighting, sport hunting, and the fur trade a new Animal Protection Litigation section fighting for animals in the courts and the Humane Society Legislative Fund working to pass animal protection laws at the state and federal levels.

The Fund for Animals animal care centers (the Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, the Cape Wildlife Center, The Fund for Animals Wildlife Center, the Rabbit Sanctuary, and the Rural Area Veterinary Services) are providing hands-on care for animals in need around the globe. The Fund for Animals won a landmark ruling this year declaring that new sport hunting programs on dozens of national wildlife refuges are unlawful. Making Burros Fly, a new book by Julie Hoffman Marshall chronicles the life of The Fund for Animals fearless founder, Cleveland Amory, and The Fund for Animals work to protect animals over the last four decades.

The Fund for Animals animal care centers focused on providing veterinary and rehabilitative care for injured, orphaned, and abandoned animals as well as providing sanctuary homes for those animals who are not candidates for release into the wild. There were upgrades to facilities to provide improved care at the Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch, The Fund for Animals Wildlife Center, the Cape Wildlife Center, and the Rabbit Sanctuary, Inc. Victories in the courtroom led to a halt of hunting practices for mountain lions and an expansion of wildlife refuges where hunting is halted (until the lawsuit is resolved), an order that Ringling Bros and Barnum Bailey Circus stand trial for abusing elephants, an end to horse slaughter for human consumption in our country, and a revision on the habitat designation for the Canada lynx.

The Fund for Animals established the Duchess Sanctuary as a safe haven for horses who were abused, abandoned and neglected.

The Fund for Animals upgraded facilities to accommodate a growing number of intakes. Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch upgraded a five-acre pig enclosure, an African tortoise enclosure and five primate barns. The Fund for Animals Wildlife Center built a spacious home for 63 cats rescued from San Nicolas Island and built a new 13,000-square-foot enclosure for Hannah Shirley the pygmy hippo, with a mud pond, shade trees and a pool.

Duchess Animal Sanctuary built its second winter shelter. Doris Day Equine Center began construction on the grounds of Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch. This new program will provide an alternative to sanctuary for rescued horses who can be trained and successfully rehomed.

The Fund for Animals increased their engagement with the public through social media, web content, open houses, seminars and lectures. The Cape Wildlife Center enhanced its commitment to providing quality medical care for its residents by opening a brand new animal hospital for native wildlife. The Doris Day Equine Center adoption program officially opened.

The Fund for Animals filed a lawsuit against the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service over delisting Wyoming&rsquos gray wolves from the Endangered Species list. The Fund for Animals helped to fight the ownership, exploitation, and public contact of dangerous exotic wildlife for commercial gain by filing a rulemaking petition with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch completed their new visitor center and on-site guest suites, which helped pave the way for new initiatives and events, and took in tigers rescued from a roadside zoo in Mississippi. The Cape Wildlife Center completed the construction of a 3,500-gallon saltwater pool and aviary designed for seabirds, making it the largest seabird rehabilitation pool in Massachusetts.

Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch completed and opened the Dr. John Hensley Veterinary Hospital, a 3,600-square-foot facility made to accommodate small, large and exotic animals, and completed a new equine handling facility designed in partnership with Temple Grandin. The Doris Day Equine Center launched Forever Foundation, a training program for other equine rescue centers to learn humane training methods. Volunteers and staffers worked tirelessly to open a new medical center at The Fund for Animals Wildlife Center. With the help of the Ark Watch Foundation, Duchess Sanctuary welcomed the addition of a 4,000 square-foot equine barn.

The Fund for Animals along with other groups declared victory in a lawsuit to restore protections for gray wolves under the Endangered Species Act. The Cape Wildlife Center launched a training program for animal control and wildlife officers to help them more effectively intervene in wildlife conflicts. In addition to the completion of several new animal care facilities, phase one of the big cat habitat was completed at Cleveland Amory Black Beauty Ranch. The new habitat contains three spacious yards complete with natural vegetation, hiding spaces, dens, platforms and ponds. The Forever Foundation program of Doris Day Equine Center worked with 19 organizations from across the U.S. to improve the the adoption rates of horses in their care through training. The Fund for Animals Wildlife Center accepted their first bear for rehabilitation. In June, The Fund for Animals and other groups filed a legal petition with the Department of Interior to ban the use of lead ammunition on state and government properties.

The Cape Wildlife Center offered a training program for animal care professionals in collaboration with Tufts University&rsquos Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine on the dangers of lead poisoning in wildlife and sold out for their popular &ldquoWildlife on Tap&rdquo lecture series. Thanks to a generous donor, The Fund for Animals Wildlife Care Center refurbished a 20-year-old flight cage used to recondition the wing muscles in osprey and eagle patients. Cleveland Amory&rsquos 52-year-old chimpanzee Lulu broke records when she became the first known chimp in a North America Primate Sanctuary Alliance facility to complete a voluntary blood draw, allowing her caregivers to collect enough blood for a full blood panel.

Day was married four times. She was married to Al Jorden, a trombonist, from March 1941 to February 1943. They had a son son Terrence Paul Jorden (Terry Melcher) together. Her second marriage was to George William Weidler, a saxophonist, from March 30, 1946, to May 31, 1949. Her third marriage was to Martin Melcher from April 3, 1951 until Melcher’s death in April 1968. Her fourth marriage was to Barry Comden from April 14, 1976 to April 2, 1982.

Following Martin Melcher’s death, she discovered her earnings had been spent and was left in debt. As a result, Day filed a lawsuit against their lawyer that was ultimately successful.


Day, the cheery, girl next door who was one of the biggest stars of the 1950s and 1960s, died in May 2019 at the age of 97 in the Carmel, California, home she had made her refuge from Hollywood.

The auction featured Day's piano, gowns, furniture and dozens of artifacts reflecting her passion for animals including numerous ceramic dogs, birds, decorative pigs and pictures of giraffes and other critters that adorned her rustic home.

A planter decorated with brass elephants that was a gift from friend and actor Rock Hudson sold for $15,625, as did a 14-karat gold poodle charm bracelet.

Flowers are pictured by the star of late actor Doris Day on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in Los Angeles, California (File image)


But Marty was also Doris's agent, and there was no way he was ready to allow his money-making wife to give up work. She made movie after movie, while he negotiated higher and higher fees for her, which everybody suspected he was siphoning away for himself.

She refused to listen to anyone who said so, and was determined to show everyone she had a blissful marriage - and that's how it seemed when Marty legally adopted Terry, who took his name, but behind the scenes things were grim.

Marty became jealous and controlling, never allowing Doris out alone and deciding who she was or wasn't allowed to star with. Doris's film career was also taking something of a dip at the box office.

More worryingly, she had started suffering from mental illness. Signs of this started to show while she was shooting the film I'll See You In My Dreams, and broke down during a scene in which she had to cry. Once the cameras stopped rolling she clung to Marty, sobbing uncontrollably.

Unstable and depressed, she seemed to be on the verge of a nervous breakdown when, in 1952, she started working on what was to be her most triumphant film so far - Calamity Jane.

Iconic: Doris Day in Calamity Jane

'It's DAY-lightful!' the posters proclaimed - and the public agreed. But it was also the most physically taxing film she had ever made. No sooner had shooting ended than the crisis that had been already hovering in the wings hit her with a vengeance.

She began suffering panic attacks with palpitations and breathlessness, and was convinced she was about to have a heart attack. Matters were exacerbated when she discovered a small lump in her breast.

Desperate for comfort, Doris threw herself into religion - she was a follower of Christian Science, which eschews conventional medicine and favours spiritual healing. She also spent a lot of time with two new - and rather unhelpful - friends, musical comedy star Charlotte Greenwood and Judy Garland.

Greenwood and her composer husband Martin Broones were particularly obsessive practitioners of Christian Science. To Doris, their word was law. They strongly advised her not to seek medical help for her problems. Marty Melcher, originally an
Orthodox Jew, was also a follower of Christian Science. Doris had introduced him to it when they first met and, following their marriage, he had become a staunch believer.

However, he was not quite as fundamentalist in his beliefs as Charlotte and Martin, and said that since he suspected his wife was having a mental breakdown, he was going to bend the rules and have her see a doctor.

The doctor said there was nothing wrong with Doris's mental health, that she was suffering from an over-active imagination and 'acute hyperventilation', and should simply breathe in and out of a paper bag when she had another attack.

He also booked her into hospital where the lump in her breast was found to be benign, and prescribed a course of sedatives that Doris took very reluctantly - the founder of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, would not have approved.

Only days after leaving the clinic, cured but still weak, and convinced the doctors had made the wrong diagnosis and that she was really dying, Doris reluctantly began work on her next film, Lucky Me. On an adjacent lot at Warner Brothers, Judy Garland was shooting A Star Is Born.

Two years older than Doris, Garland was a physical and mental wreck. Addicted to uppers and downers, bloated by medication, her third marriage - to producer Sid Luft - was falling apart.

When Marty Melcher introduced Doris to the Lufts, Sid was cheating on Judy with another man and Judy had been put on a crash diet that made her completely irrational. Nonetheless, she did offer Doris some sound advice: 'Ditch the religion bulls**t!'

Doris chose to ignore her. A 'cure' was therefore effected for her mental turmoil by reading the works of Mary Baker Eddy and drinking with Judy - which, though just as detrimental to Doris's health as her imaginary illnesses, certainly enabled her to forget all about them until the next morning's hangover.

In fact, thanks to her Christian Science beliefs, Doris's depression was not addressed properly until she finally started seeing a mental health specialist in 1971, who treated her for at least four years.

Meanwhile, away from the studio, Doris became edgy and anti-social. The success of Calamity Jane brought a flood of requests for receptions and interviews, every one of which she turned down.

During the filming of Young At Heart, in which she starred opposite Frank Sinatra, she showed more signs of strain.

The elderly American actress Ethel Barrymore was also in the movie, and on her 75th birthday the cast threw her a surprise party. Seeing how weak the old lady looked when being helped out of her wheelchair was too much for Doris. All her own health insecurities welled up and she broke down.

To make matters worse, a technician tossed her a box of tissues that accidentally hit her in the face. Sinatra promptly started laying into the technician until he was dragged off by security men.

Meanwhile, all of Doris's considerable earnings were being handed over to Melcher and his lawyer and business partner Jerry Rosenthal without question. Doris never really knew what she was paid. Her husband signed the deals and looked after the books and she said she had no reason not to trust him.

Clawing her way back to something like equilibrium, Doris publicly admitted she'd had a breakdown and was widely praised for her honesty.

She went on to star in Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, which included her singing 'Que Sera, Sera' - a lullaby that became her new signature tune and her most popular recording ever.

Working flat-out, she then started making the movie Julie, opposite the suave French actor Louis Jourdan. Doris always denied having an affair with Jourdan, who was charming and compassionate - a welcome change from her uncouth, unkind husband.

She clearly adored Louis, and he later insisted they'd had a brief, passionate relationship. From day one of the shooting schedule, it seems that Doris leaned on him for moral support against Melcher - and, inevitably, one thing led to another.

In her memoirs, Doris denies that Marty Melcher was physically violent towards her, claiming the nearest he ever got to this was slamming his fist into the wall or door, but friends such as Rock Hudson said that he did hit her.

Wiith Rock Hudson in Pillow Talk: Hudson revealed Day was beaten

He certainly hit her son Terry, and often humiliated him in public, calling him a 'sissy'. When Doris complained that he was being too hard on the boy, Melcher's response was that, as the man of the household, he alone was responsible for discipline.

He pointed out that it was against the edicts of Christian Science to have parents pulling in opposite directions.

Christian Science was also the excuse he used when Doris started haemorrhaging badly on set - he refused to let her be examined by a doctor. This went on for several weeks until Doris was in such agony that she could hardly walk.

Eventually, he allowed her to check herself into hospital where surgeons discovered a huge intestinal tumour. Removing it involved a hysterectomy.

Doris had said that she would rather have died on the operating table than face the prospect of never being able to conceive again, though she also made it clear that had there been another child, she would not have wanted Marty Melcher to be the father.

The after-effects of her operation sent her into another downward spiral of depression. Her career was going brilliantly, but her marriage was crumbling.

Over the next few years she starred opposite Clark Gable ('as masculine as any man I've ever known, and as much a little boy as a grown man could be'), Jack Lemmon, David Niven and Cary Grant.

But she couldn't have been more miserable. Doris was beginning to find life with her husband unbearable because of his near-psychotic treatment of their son.

Convinced Terry would grow up to be gay, delinquent - or both - and without even discussing this with his wife, Melcher dragged him away from the Christian Science school that Doris had put him into and installed him at the Harvard Military Academy, declaring this would make a man of him.

However, it only succeeded in making the boy hate him. When Terry was on his school holidays, Doris would take him to their beach house as a refuge. When she told a newspaper this was her favourite place on earth, Melcher made her sell it, unable to cope with her being happy.

Then, finally, she discovered that Marty had been beating Terry for years. Plenty of people knew but had been too scared to tell her, for fear of being rejected from the Doris Day 'inner circle'.

Similarly, several of her closest allies were terrified to tell her that Melcher and his business partner Rosenthal were almost certainly embezzling money from her bank accounts and transferring this to tax-free accounts in Switzerland.

Terry, aged 20, begged his mother to leave Melcher, but every time she threatened to do so, Melcher told her that if she divorced him, she would become bankrupt.

She was naive enough to swallow the story but decided they would 'live separate lives while living together'. Melcher was relegated to the spare room and Doris told him if he wanted to take a mistress, it was fine by her.

Terry left the family home, which turned out to be an excellent move because it marked the start of his musical career as a singer, songwriter and, most notably, producer of The Byrds' hits Mr Tambourine Man and Turn, Turn, Turn.

Then, when Doris was filming a movie called With Six You Get Eggroll, Marty Melcher fell ill. He complained of pain in his bowel and was rapidly losing weight.

Despite their relationship being in tatters, Doris insisted on nursing him. Even when his condition became desperate, Melcher refused to see a doctor because of his Christian Science beliefs.

During this mysterious final illness, he still exercised the same control over Doris as he had throughout their 17-year marriage. She was not permitted to go out alone or even leave the room without his permission. If she talked to male friends on the phone, he suspected her of having an affair.

She is said to have wanted to have affairs, and there were rumours of an involvement with baseball star Maury Wills and country singer Glen Campbell. Doris fervently denied both.

Eventually, Melcher agreed to see a specialist at hospital. For two weeks she stayed with him throughout the day, returning each night to Terry's house.

On April 19, 1968, Doris was contacted by the hospital director. Melcher had fallen out of bed - quite possibly he had suffered a stroke - and she was urged to go there at once. At 3am the next morning, Marty Melcher died in his sleep of a heart attack, aged 52.

Doris bowed out of the movie scene, aged just 44, rejecting every role that came her way after his death.

The truth is, she simply could not function without the steering hand of a svengali, and the only one she had ever wanted had been Marty Melcher. She mourned him with all her heart and told the world how much she had genuinely loved him. Then came a nasty shock.

When Doris received an unexpected tax demand for more than $500,000, an investigation revealed her coffers were empty: aside from personal possessions, her husband had left her broke.

It subsequently emerged that his crony Rosenthal had been milking her fortune for up to 15 years.

Marty had also duped his stepson, urging Terry to hand over royalties from his own compositions and production deals to Rosenthal for safe investment.

It took almost ten years of investigation before Rosenthal was found guilty of embezzling not just Doris's money, but that of other stars including Zsa Zsa Gabor and Kirk Douglas. The judge estimated that Doris was owed £66million.

It came as a big surprise when, around this time, Doris announced she was going to marry husband number four, Barry Comden, a restaurant manager who was 11 years her junior.

Doris befriended him when, on her way out of his Palm Springs restaurant, he gave her a bag of meat scraps for her beloved dogs. The ceremony took place at a friend's house on April 14, 1976. 'At last I'm romantically fulfilled,' she said 'Barry's a beautiful person, and we have a marvellous relationship, the most marvellous I've ever had!' But the 'marvellous' relationship proved short lived. By the end of 1979, they had drifted apart and by 1981 they were divorced.

Nor did things go well with regards to the money she was owed. Rosenthal's lawyers appealed against the judge's decision to give Doris such a huge sum, and the case dragged on until August 1985, when she ended up with but a fraction of the initial figure.

Beloved son: Terry Melcher died in 2004

The exact amount was not made public, but is thought to have been no more than $3million.

The trial proved to be her last public performance, and with her debts finally settled (and still aged only 50) she made it clear outside the courthouse that there would be no more films.

On the final day of the trial she cut a dowdy figure: wearing horn-rimmed spectacles and with her hair up under a tweed hat, looking ten years older than she was.

From now on, fans would have to make do with a handful of half-hearted chat show appearances. Time and again she was asked to sing always she declined - and not always politely when the demands became too over-zealous.

She all but disappeared, turning her attentions to supporting animal welfare charities and living quietly on her 11-acre estate in Carmel, California.

In 1988, she and Terry bought the Cypress Inn, a Spanish-style hotel in the centre of Carmel, simply because she had heard of clients complaining about its strict 'no animals' policy and she wanted to change the rules. In November 2004, the bottom dropped out of her world when, following a long battle against skin melanoma, Terry died, aged 62. It is something she has never spoken about.

Her last public appearance of sorts took place in May last year, aged 83, but still improbably beautiful, when she established an annual vets' scholarship in Terry's memory.

Over the last few years, there have been numerous reports of a figure, looking like a little old bag lady, stealing through the streets of Carmel in the middle of the night, rounding up stray dogs and emaciated cats and putting them into her car. She is Doris Day, finally doing something that makes her truly happy.


'She had difficulty accepting death.'

Instructions: The silver screen star left specific instructions in her will that she would not have a funeral or any commemoration of any kind, her manager and friend Bob Bashara told People. Seen here with son Terry Melcher in 1974

Firm feelings: 'She didn’t like death, and she couldn’t be with her animals if they had to be put down,'said Doris' manager. Seen here circa 1955

Day's death was announced by her charity, the Doris Day Animal Foundation, on Monday.

The foundation said in an emailed statement she was surrounded by close friends and 'had been in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia.'

She died at home in Carmel Valley, California.

The charity also revealed that 'her wishes were that she have no funeral or memorial service and no grave marker.

Instead, they want fans to visit the charity she founded to save animals.

Between 1948 and 1969, she appeared in an astonishing 39 films.

Tragic loss: Day's death was announced by her charity, the Doris Day Animal Foundation, on Monday. Seen here in 2000

She was married four times but only had one child, Terry Melcher, who died in 2004 after battling melanoma. She is survived by her grandson, Ryan Melcher.

As well as starring in some of the most iconic Hollywood films of all time, Day was a Grammy-winning singer and started her career aged 15 in Les Brown's band.

Her songs Sentimental Journey, Secret Love and Que Sera Sera have all been inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame.

Day, unlike her contemporary rival Marilyn Monroe, embodied a wholesome, goodie two-shoes presence that America fell in love with.

But her real life was marred with romantic strife and money problems, both of which she wrote about in her biography, Doris Day: Her Own Story.

'I have the unfortunate reputation of being Miss Goody Two-Shoes, America’s Virgin, and all that, so I’m afraid it’s going to shock some people for me to say this, but I staunchly believe no two people should get married until they have lived together,' she said.

Beauty: She died at home in Carmel Valley, California. Seen here circa 1966

Elsewhere, she wrote: 'My public image is unshakably that of America's wholesome virgin, the girl next door, carefree and brimming with happiness, an image, I can assure you, more make-believe than any film part I ever played.

'But I am Miss Chastity Belt and that's all there is to it.'

Born Doris Marianne von Kappelhoff, she grew up in Evanston, Ohio.

Her parents were a music teacher and a housewife and she dreamed of a dance career, but at age 12, suffered a crippling accident: a car she was in was hit by a train and her leg was badly broken.

Listening to the radio while recuperating, she began singing along with Ella Fitzgerald, 'trying to catch the subtle ways she shaded her voice, the casual yet clean way she sang the words.'

Day began singing in a Cincinnati radio station, then a local nightclub, then in New York.

A bandleader changed her name to Day, after the song Day after Day, to fit it on a marquee.

Humble beginnings: Her Hollywood career began after she sang at a Hollywood party in 1947. Day seen here circa 1945

Her Hollywood career began after she sang at a Hollywood party in 1947. After early stardom as a band singer and a stint at Warner Bros., Day won the best notices of her career with Love Me or Leave Me, the story of songstress Ruth Etting and her gangster husband-manager. She initially balked at it, but the 1955 film became a box-office and critical success.

But she found her greatest success in slick, stylish sex comedies, beginning with her Oscar-nominated role in Pillow Talk.

She and Rock Hudson were two New Yorkers who shared a telephone party line and initially hated each other.

Romance on the High Seas, another of her notable films, had been designed for Judy Garland, then Betty Hutton.

Both bowed out, and Day, recommended by songwriters Sammy Cahn and Jule Styne, won the role.

Warner Bros. cashed in on its new star with a series of musicals, including My Dream Is Yours, Tea for Two and Lullaby of Broadway.

Her last film was With Six You Get Eggroll, a 1968 comedy about a widow and a widower and the problems they have when blending their families.

With movies trending for more explicit sex, she turned to television to recoup her finances.

The Doris Day Show was a moderate success in its 1966-1973 run on CBS.

Her showbiz career began singing in bands, first in Cincinnati and then in New York where a bandleader changed her name to Day.

She had become enthralled with the notion of becoming a singer as a teenager while listening to the radio as she recovered from a broken leg.

She married for the first time at the age of 17, to trombonist Al Jorden who she said beat her while she was pregnant with her son Terry.

Terry was born in 1942. A year later, she left his father and went back to singing in a band.

Her boy: She was married four times but only had one child, Terry Melcher, [pictured] who died in 2004 after battling melanoma

She was married to her second husband, George Weidler, for three years until 1949.

In 1951, after briefly dating Ronald Reagan, she married film producer Martin Melcher. They were together for 17 years.

Day continued working until the 1980s but devoted the last portion of her life to animal rights.

Although mostly retired from show business since the 1980s, she still had enough of a following that a 2011 collection of previously unreleased songs, My Heart, hit the top 10 in the United Kingdom.

The same year, she received a lifetime achievement honor from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association.

Friends and supporters lobbied for years to get her an honorary Oscar.

Terry: She married for the first time at the age of 17, to trombonist Al Jorden who she said beat her while she was pregnant with her son Terry [pictured]


Doris Day first heard "Secret Love" when its co-writer Sammy Fain visited the singer's home and played it for her, Day being so moved by the song that she'd recall her reaction as being: "I just about fell apart". [4]

Day recorded the song on 5 August 1953 in a session at the Warner Bros. Recording Studio (Burbank), overseen by Warner Bros. musical director Ray Heindorf. On the day of the recording session for "Secret Love", Day had done vocal exercises at her home. Then about noon—the session being scheduled for 1 p.m.—she had set out on her bicycle to the studio. Heindorf had rehearsed the studio orchestra prior to Day's reaching the studio upon her arrival, Heindorf suggested that Day do a practice run-through with the orchestra prior to recording any takes, but acquiesced to Day's request that her first performance with the orchestra be recorded. Day recalls, "When I got there I sang the song with the orchestra for the first time . That was the first and only take we did." . "When I finished Ray called me into the sound booth grinning from ear to ear and said, 'That's it. You're never going to do it better.'" [4]

The single of "Secret Love" was released on 9 October 1953—three weeks prior to the premiere of the Calamity Jane film—by her longtime record label, Columbia Records in both 45 and 78 rpm format (cat. no.40108). [5] The single entered the Top 20 bestselling singles survey at number 17 on Billboard magazine dated 9 January 1954 with the single reaching number 1 on the Top 20 survey for the week ending 17 February 1954, the week in which the song's Academy Award nomination for Best Song had been announced, the nominations for the 26th Academy Awards for the film year 1953 having been announced two days earlier. Day's "Secret Love", having spent three weeks ranked as the number 1 bestselling single by Billboard, was still ranked as the number 4 bestseller the week of the 26th Academy Awards broadcast which occurred 25 March 1954. However, Day declined to perform the nominated (and ultimately victorious) "Secret Love" at the Academy Awards ceremony, later stating: "When they asked me to sing 'Secret Love' on Academy Awards night I told them I couldn't—not in front of those people". [4] Instead, Ann Blyth performed the song at the ceremony. Day's refusal to perform "Secret Love" on the Academy Awards broadcast resulted in the Hollywood Women's Press Club "honoring" Day with the Sour Apple Award as the most uncooperative celebrity of 1953: this put-down occasioned a bout of depression which kept Day virtually housebound for several weeks, and which Day eventually had to qualify her Christian Science outlook to deal with, consulting with a medical practitioner. [4]

At the time of the release of the Doris Day version of "Secret Love" two vocal cover versions were issued, one of which - by Gogi Grant with the Harry Geller orchestra - is said to have been recorded at RCA Victor's LA recording studio in July 1953 which would make its recording earlier than Day's: the other vocal cover was recorded for MGM by Tommy Edwards with the LeRoy Holmes orchestra. Bing Crosby also had a single release of "Secret Love", recorded for Decca in Los Angeles in a 31 December 1953 session with the John Scott Trotter Orchestra [6] and it was included in his album Bing Sings the Hits (1954).

On 4 December 1953 Slim Whitman made a recording of "Secret Love" in Baltimore MD: Whitman's version reached number 2 on the C&W chart in Billboard magazine in the spring of 1954 concurrent with the Doris Day version being number 1 on the magazine's Pop chart.

Both the Moonglows and the Orioles covered "Secret Love" for the r&b market, the Moonglows' track being recorded in Chicago 10 January 1954 while the Orioles' track was recorded in New York City 29 January 1954.

In 1963 Kathy Kirby remade "Secret Love" released in October 1963 as a single, the track - with musical direction by Charles Blackwell, Jimmy Page on guitar, and production by Kirby's regular collaborator Peter Sullivan - afforded Kirby her UK career record with a number 4 UK chart peak that December. "Secret Love" was also a hit in Australia reaching number 2. [2] Kirby would recall: "[when] 'Secret Love'. was suggested by my recording manager Peter Sullivan[,] I said 'But that's already been done beautifully by Doris Day!' Peter came up with a completely different version, up-tempo and starting with the middle eight. We took a chance on it and decided that if it didn't chart it would at least be a prestige number, so we were thrilled when it sold over half a million copies in three weeks". [7] "Secret Love" provided the title for a jukebox musical depicting Kirby's life story, which following its debut run at the Leeds City Varieties commencing 9 May 2008 played venues throughout the UK into 2009. [ citation needed ]

Chart (1963) Peak
Chart (1963) Peak
UK Singles Chart [8] 4 New Zealand Singles Chart [9] 4
Danish Singles Chart [10] 4 Australian Singles Chart [11] 3
Hong Kong Singles Chart [10] 3 Irish Singles Chart [12] 7

Freddy Fender remade "Secret Love" for his 1975 album release Are You Ready For Freddy? recorded in the summer of 1975 at the SugarHill Recording Studios (Houston): issued as a single in October 1975 "Secret Love" afforded Fender the third of his four number 1 hits on the Billboard C&W, also crossing-over to the U.S. Top 40 of Billboard Hot 100, reaching number 20. (Fender would score one subsequent Top 40 hit, his fourth C&W number 1 hit "You'll Lose a Good Thing" crossing-over to the number 32 on the Hot 100.) Fender remade "Secret Love" for his 2002 album ''La Musica de Baldemar Huerta.

Chart (1976) Peak
New Zealand (RIANZ) [13] 10
U.S. Billboard Hot Country Singles [14] 1
U.S. Billboard Hot 100 [15] 20
U.S. Billboard Adult Contemporary [16] 10

Spike Jones did a novelty version of the song .(1955)

John Serry Sr. arranged and recorded this composition with his ensemble on Dot Records (DLP-3024) for his album Squeeze Play in 1956 and on Versailles Records (90 M 178) on Chicago Musette -John Serry et son Accordén in 1958. [17] [18]

    Dance Along with Basie (1959) [19]
  • Frank Sinatra - Sinatra Sings Days of Wine and Roses, Moon River, and Other Academy Award Winners (1964) with Keith Jarrett – Buttercorn Lady (1966) [19] – Rifftide (1987) [19] – Once More with Feeling (1960) with Hampton Hawes – Blues a la Suisse (1973) [19] – Ahmad's Blues (1958) [19] – Progression: Art of the Trio, Vol. 5 (2000) [19] – Am I Not Your Girl? (1992) – Tears and Laughter (1961) [19] - If You Could Read My Mind (1980) recorded "Secret Love" in a 27 April 1962 session at RCA Italiana Studios (Rome)for her album Connie Francis sings Award Winning Motion Picture Hits. The original version from April 1962, with an arrangement by Geoff Love, was only available in Australia (MGM Records) and New Zealand (MGM). All other worldwide releases of that album included a version with a new orchestration recorded in April 1963 with an arrangement by Don Costa.
  • Classical guitarist Kaori Muraji recorded an instrumental version on her album Portrait. [20] covered the song in his 1984 album Red Hot and Blue. [21]
  • George Michael covered the song in his 1999 album Songs of the Century
  • "Secret Love" has been performed in various stage productions of the stage musical version of Calamity Jane in the US by Edie Adams, Martha Raye, Carol Burnett - who also sang the song in a 12 November 1963 televised broadcast of the Calamity Jane stage musical - , Ginger Rogers, and Louise Mandrell in the UK by Barbara Windsor, Louise Gold, Gemma Craven, Toyah Willcox, and Jodie Prenger and in Australia by Rowena Wallace. Craven, who played the title role in an extensive touring production of Calamity Jane in 1995 and 1996, may be heard singing "Secret Love" on a 1995 cast album of Calamity Jane (Craven is the sole vocalist on the album). Willcox, who in the summer of 2003 played the title role of Calamity Jane in the stage musical's West End production, has said of "Secret Love": "It's a great song to sing it's very powerful, and emotionally—and musically—it's the pinnacle of the whole show." [22]
  • Piero Cusato - recording from his SoundCloud [1]

Caterina Valente also recorded this song in an upbeat version. Pianist David Benoit recorded a version on his 1987 album, Waiting For Spring.

Bugs Bunny sang the song in the animated featurette "Rabbitson Crusoe" while on the shipwrecked deck.(1956)

Allan Sherman sang a parody of the song as "Secret Code" (1965) from the album "My Name is Allan". (1965)

In the Billy Paul version of "Me and Mrs. Jones" (1972), a saxophone is heard playing the first 7 notes of "Secret Love", in the intro and outro of the song. This resulted in a lawsuit by Fain and Webster for the use of the melody without approval beforehand. It was settled out of court, with both Fain and Webster receiving half of the proceeds each for the Billy Paul version of the song.

Billionaire Twins Abused Like Slaves by Dad

Only heirs of Doris Duke, teens describe horrific childhood.

Cleveland Survivors Speak Out, Say "Thank You"

Aug. 5, 2013— -- Child abuse isn't pretty, no matter how much money you have.

Twins Georgia and Walker "Patterson" Inman III, now 15, are set to inherit $1 billion when they are 21. But in the meantime, the two, who are the only surviving heirs of Doris Duke, have been to hell and back, according to an interview in the latest edition of Rolling Stone magazine, "Poorest Rich Kids in the World.''

The teens described a life of plenty in their 10,000-square-foot Wyoming mountain retreat and a South Carolina plantation -- a pet lion cub, diamonds for show-and-tell and snorkeling in Fiji.

But juxtaposed against that was a slavelike childhood, being locked in a basement filled with feces and scalded by boiling baths.

They were terrified most of the time, "dead bolted" in their rooms at night where they had to relieve themselves in the corner, according to the interview. They were raised by various nannies and subjected to the explosive nature of their father.

"I never asked to be born into any of this," Georgia told Rolling Stone. "Sometimes I wish I was never born."

Their father, Duke's nephew Walker Patterson Inman Jr., was a heroin addict who got custody of the children when he divorced their mother when they were 2. Racking up five wives, he lived on an estimated $90,000 monthly inheritance.

Walker Jr. died of a methadone overdose in 2010. It was then that the twins moved in with their mother, a former model and his third wife, Daisha Inman, according to the magazine.

ABCNews.com emailed and called Inman, 53, at her Park City, Utah, home, but no one responded.

The family had a few brushes with authorities, and several calls to social services stopped dead in their tracks. Once, police were called to a diner after Inman Jr. slapped his daughter "so hard, diners feared for her life," according to Rolling Stone. The twins were at one point sent to a mental hospital for three months.

What was most striking was that by and large, few people intervened to help the children.

"Absolutely, money does not protect you from abuse -- in fact, it seems like a lot of people were worried about reporting this potentially because of their money," said Jamie M. Howard, director of the stress and resilience program at the New York-based Child Mind Institute.

"It's really disheartening that people didn't reach out to child protective services," she said. "People don't realize you can make anonymous reports without fear of retribution. . There were a lot of staff who were paid high salaries and could have felt threatened to lose their incomes."

Both children reported that they had considered suicide and suffered from anorexia.

In the interview, Georgia said of her wealth, "People can look at this as a blessing all day long, but it's blood money."

Some might argue that is a fitting description of the family fortune, culled from the Lucky Strike cigarette brand. Duke became the "richest little girl in the world," when she inherited $100 million in 1947, the only child of tobacco tycoon James Buchanan "Buck" Duke.

But the 6-foot-tall glamour queen went on to do good works, donating much to North Carolina's Duke University, which had been named for her tobacco-growing ancestors, and the Duke Energy Corporation. Her Doris Duke Charitable Foundation gives away hundreds of millions of dollars, championing good causes around the world.

Walker Inman Jr. was taken in by Duke, his father's half-sister, when he was 13. His father, an alcoholic, died when he was 2 his mother died when he was 6.

But Duke, known for her sexual escapades, was a half-hearted guardian and stripped Inman of executor powers, giving them to her butler. She gave almost all of her fortune to charity, leaving her disgruntled nephew only $7 million.

But Walker Jr.'s children also inherited money through their grandmother, who was Doris Duke's mother, and his father, Duke's half-brother.

Judy Kuriansky, a psychologist at Columbia University's Teachers College, didn't treat the Inman twins, but suggests dysfunction begets dysfunction.

"This is a generational problem escalated over time," said Kuriansky. "Their father is really passing on his own abuse from a generation before and so these kids, in a sense, have very little chance."

"When you think about this family, it seems almost like the problems with Michael Jackson's kids," she said. "They were so sequestered and treated so strangely and brought up so separate from society. … This family is the Michael Jackson situation times a hundred."

The twins were recently suspended from a private school in Utah for about $25,000 in unpaid tuition and late fees, according to Forbes magazine. Their mother is involved in a legal battle with Citibank and JP Morgan over the handling of the children's trust funds.

Court filings, according to Forbes, show outlandish requests for cash: $6,000 for a Halloween party, $1,000 per month for her children to eat out, especially at Starbucks. The monthly allotment for the twins is $16,000, which Daisha Inman claims is far less than the $180,000 a month their father spent before he died.

The twins told Rolling Stone that when they were 12, their father's fifth wife, Daralee, crashed into a tree, drunk at 7:30 a.m. when she was driving them to school. They were shaken, but uninjured.

At the same time, isolated from society, the teens said in the interview that they had never heard of the game musical chairs and still believed in Santa Claus.

"Dear Santa, I know I haven't been good, but if you do come all I want is to say hi to you in person," Patterson recently wrote, according to Rolling Stone.

According to Forbes, when the children were returned to Daisha Inman in 2010, they began "intensive" counseling to "rekindle their relationship" with their mother.

Psychologist Howard, who has not treated the Inman twins, said that the magazine interview may have been a first step for the twins in an attempt to rebuild their lives in therapy.

"This kind of longstanding and chronic and severe trauma and abuse and neglect definitely disrupts a typical child's development," she said.

"Typical tasks are harder to achieve," said Howard. "One of the first is the infant or toddler's secure attachment to the caregiver, relying on someone to meet their needs. That's how we develop the capacity to trust each other."

She said it is plausible that 15-year-olds could still believe in Santa because of disruptions in cognitive development, as well as isolation.

"Magical thinking can persist in a kid who has experienced long-term abuse," said Howard. "They are living in their imagination as an escape."

The twins may have been lucky, at least, to have each other. "It may have been the social support," she said. "Going through this alone is harder than with someone else.… A child alone [blames himself and] thinks he is really bad. A child with someone else thinks, 'Dad didn't want us.' It's less personal."

It's never too late to address the traumatic effects of abuse and there are good treatments to increase the capacity to trust, ease anxieties and to regulate emotions, according to Howard.

"Telling their story is one of the parts of trauma treatment," said Howard.

She said the Rolling Stone interview is a strong reminder to people to "do the right thing and make a phone call if kids are living in horrible conditions."

"My hope is that they come out of this," said Howard. "It could be a step in therapy, and hope they are protected and have the privacy to develop the appropriate narrative for themselves."

Watch the video: Why Doris Day Will Have No Funeral, No Memorial and No Marker She Didnt Like Death (January 2022).